You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘boring minutiae’ category.
- I just woke up from a nap after having stayed up until 3 AM grading annotated bibliographies.
- Week seven is hell.
- I am almost finished taking classes – forever and ever — two more weeks and one of those is the week of Thanksgiving.
- Apparently some college freshman have never heard of apartheid. I’m adding that to my long list of things students are too young to remember.
- Also, students only vaguely remember Hurricane Katrina.
- Lack of sleep makes me want to eat carbs.
- Grading makes me want a glass of wine.
- I wrote a draft of my comps questions and sent them to my advisor, but he is sick, so there has been no word.
- Our comps process takes six weeks. (WTF.)
- I am so ready to be done with classes and focusing on my research.
- I don’t have funding for my research, so I need to get moving on the fellowship applications.
- If all goes well, I will spend April-August “in the field” and be ready to start writing in September.
- This time next year I could be sending out job applications.
- I really need to find a post-doc because I doubt I will be “ready” for a TT job by next winter.
- Some kind of Oprah Christmas present special just came on the TV and the people in the audience are screaming like they won the lottery, which they kinda did. But it is still creepy. Sort of like a revival meeting, only consumerism = god.
- My Spanish skills are finally returning to their 1992 levels. Between homework and classes I have been spending several hours a day working on this. Too bad that after this quarter is over I have no way to maintain or improve these skills since I need to focus on my comps and dissertation research.
- I still don’t have down the names of all 66 of my students. How do other people learn their students’ names? (I think it it must be some sort of learning disability on my part.)
- That is all for now.
Here’s what I have accomplished so far today-
1. I wrote up some more of the “results” section of my thesis. The thesis seems to be looking up. Earlier in the week I felt I didn’t have anything interesting to say and my committee was going to be bored to death, now I have found a least a few interesting insights. Yay!
2. I spent a ton of time investigating WordPress. I’m starting to get the hang of it and there are a ton of plug-ins that allow you do a sorts of fun stuff. This makes me feel productive, because my job on campus is considering using WordPress to manage their website.
3. Went shopping for the pets and some groceries. Beorn and I also got some smoothies. Yum.